Brew Guide: Clever Dripper Recipe | Clean Immersion Brewing
The Clever Dripper is an immersion brewer by design, but its trap door feature filters the coffee - making a rich, luscious, and sweet cup of coffee without sediment. It is one of our favorite brew methods and our brewer of choice at our West Ritchie Location. The process is quick, easy and adaptable to your personal taste. Here is our favorite way to brew on it:
Dose: 20 g | Water Weight: 300 ml | Ratio: 1:15
- Have a kettle ready with at least 500 ml of water, a scale and a grinder.
- Weight out 20 grams of coffee. We will be grinding on a medium-fine setting using our NO.8 blend.
- We will be setting our kettle for 100℃ degrees. If you have a stovetop kettle, let it reach boiling temperature right before you start brewing.
- We will then want to rinse the paper filter with hot water. This can be done with your kettle or really hot tap water. We do this to remove the paper taste and to heat up the brewer. We will then discard the water.
- You should now have 20 grams of ground coffee, off-boil water, and a brewer ready to be used
- Place your Clever Dripper on your scale and tare it.
- We will be adding water first, not the coffee. We will add 300 ml of water.
- You can now add the coffee to the water. Stir it to make sure you saturate all the coffee and there are no dry air pockets. You do not need to stir aggressively - we still want a nice crust to form on the surface.
- We are letting it steep undisturbed until your timer hits 2:00. We will then stir it again to break the crust and let the coffee fall to the bottom.
- At the 2:15 mark you can place the Clever Dripper on your carafe, server or mug. This will take another 0:45 seconds.
When you had the coffee first, it would take around 2:00 to 3:00 minutes to draw through the bed after you're done brewing. This is because it starts to clog. Many people then start to adjust their parameters to work around this, for this longer draw down affects the flavor of your brew immensely. By adding the water first, it helps resolve that issue by drawing down in 1:30 or less.